09 10

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!

Wednesday, 9 August 2017

New Sewing Courses


Lately, I've been in a bit of a sewing slump.

There has been some sewing going on - but it has been what I'd consider to be utility sewing - such as play costumes for my children and fixing things (most recently, a couple of items our newest family member has chewed). Satisfying as it is to be able to engage my skills for others (when they are grateful - the dog couldn't care less) or to save money (on buying another new bed for said dog), this is not the kind of sewing that makes my heart sing. Nothing has grabbed my attention and inspired me to want to spend the evening sewing for myself, and so I have just got on with Other Things.

This is all fine. The great thing about sewing for a hobby is it can be on your terms. I know it won't be long before my mojo returns - probably in the form of an enticing new pattern or some must have fabric that just has to be made into whatever garment it causes me to imagine it as. I've been taking my time to ponder over what I want to make, and, teach, in the term ahead, and I think I am finally there. 

There are a couple of brand new courses for next term, plus the popular Complete Beginners' Sewing Course is making a comeback.

If you are brand new to sewing, and want to learn how to use a sewing machine, then Complete Beginners' is for you. Even if you have a little sewing experience under your belt, but aren't really confident with your machine yet, then we can tailor the same course to make it a bit more of a challenge (adding in a few applique details to the cushion covers, or learning how to put a zipped pocket into the simple bag) so that you still come away with a sense of satisfaction from improving your skills.

In a change from the past, I'm including all the materials and bits and bobs you need for the course - this is why the course fee is a bit higher than the other more advanced courses.

What we will make on the Complete Beginners' Course:
- a cushion (with or without applique, depending on experience)
- a large tote bag (with or without a zipped pocket, depending on experience)
- a framed purse or a zipped make up bag
- plus an extra kit of your choice for you to take home


Classes are small (maximum of six), so that I can give people all the help they need to make something they feel really proud of. You can bring your own sewing machine or use one of mine. 

Each course runs for 4 weeks, and there will be plenty of tea and yummy homemade cake to fuel your sewing adventures.

The other two courses build on skills taught on the Complete Beginners' Course and are aimed at more experienced sewists. There's one with a shirt dress, and another with a tailored jacket. The dates for all these are below, and there will be updates on the blog with the samples I am making for the courses. I. Can't Wait.

Complete Beginners' Course - Mondays, starting 11th September - £90
Butterick B6333 Shirt Dress Course - Mondays, starting 9th October - £70 (excluding 23rd October for half term)
Alice Tailored Jacket Course - Mondays, starting 13th November - £70

Booking is now open!

COURSES

Image result for butterick B6333

1 comment:

  1. How exciting... a new dog to the family! P's campaign for a dog is relentless here. Hoping your sewing enthusiasm for all those gorgeous makes returns soon - I'm sure the thought of these great looking courses will help!

    ReplyDelete